A Game Of You [ Open. ]
Cathasach Ó Goibniu-Mór Offline
Child of Danu
Sidhe

Profile | Plot | Tracker

Tribe: Clann Fox
Clann: Ua Goibniu

RE: A Game Of You [ Open. ]
Cathasach swung his head back, and glared at the Swan Chieftain. He didn’t like how easy it had been for Ryol to see through his feelings for Aithne, when she returned. Cathasach had hidden his connections to the High Queen, and masked his emotions from most of the court. But the Swan couple were the few people who read, and deduced his feelings precisely.

It also didn’t help that Aithne liked to intervene, as a mirror to Eslyd, when he and Ryol had a fight, with the two women present. Cath gave up putting a facade in front both of them by now. Still, he didn’t like his most glaring weakness, was in the awareness of a man, that could possibly turn it against him. Despite their strange friend-enemy relationship, it would be stupid to completely trust Ryol. He was, after all, a spy, and not even his spy.

Ryol’s reminder of his obsession had led to the Fox Chieftain’s turn to be annoyed. The ground underneath the wine decanter began to shake. The decanter trembled towards the edge of the table, until it was threateningly close to falling onto the carpet, before the ground stopped again, still as before. It was an unspoken warning to Ryol. Aithne was still a sensitive subject to him, and he disliked how the white-haired man casually mentioned it, even subtlety, in front of Aleksander.

“I gather that you and the Jarl of Alfland are on close terms?” He turned his attention back to Aleksander, eyes watching the board. Ryol’s performance brought a smirk to his lips. He had heard of the Jarl’s involvement during the Aesir invasion, particular his battles in the Misty Hills. He was curious to learn more of the man, than simply a former invader.
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2013 10:34 PM by Cathasach Ó Goibniu-Mór.)
06-25-2013 09:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ryol Ó Caer-Mór Offline
Child of Danu
Sidhe

Profile | Plot | Tracker

Tribe: Clann Swann
Clann: Ua Caer

Ryol's attention focused on the board again, moving to the offense, to a certain extent - there was little else he could do, at the moment, after all...

"The Ironswift Warband is a reliable enough group, and they've proven themselves quite reliable in the past..." He shifted a piece. "And while there are those among my own Clann who seek retribution - there were significant enough losses to colour quite a few minds, but..some things must be overlooked for the sake of progress and success... Checks and balances....."

His eyes shift to Cathasach as the ground starts to rumble, and his lips twist into a faint scowl, eyes moving to the decanter as it edges towards the tipping point....then stills. He crosses, at this, to cap it and pick it up, the look he throws Cathasach one that clearly spoke his opinion of how utterly childish the other was being...but holding his tongue. Regardless of his desire to throw another subtle barb, there was a time and a place...

If the other man chose to take his warning as an offense, that was his own dilemma...making it clearer that there was something deeper than a rival's jabbing, however... He shook his head, and moved to firmly stopper the decanter and place it somewhere a bit more secure.
06-26-2013 05:02 PM
Aleksander Norgaard Offline
The Iron Folk
Aesir

Profile | Plot | Tracker

Tribe: Vanaland
Clann: The Ránningar

Aleksander watched the two like a play in life, but the rumble caused a hand to steady the table under his own strength to keep the board steady. No need for the shift of pieces now. The Pawns of the east did war upon one another in their miniature battlefield, with casualties to both sides. However it was by the aggressive flanking of the central Pawn ranks that now the King of the Dark and the Queen of Shadows sat in the same danger, with the Central White Pawn force receiving reinforcement should it fall to being slain. Aleksander smiled faintly, and the motion was made for Ryol to make his own move.

[Image: M30_zps6064a9ef.jpg]

"Check. Though mindin' all the same, if one of you was shakin' up the buildin', I'll not get stuck in the pointed discussions between leaders tha' give me no incentive tah' helping one side or the other. The Ironswifts, aye, they be making a good name for them Gullgards-surprisin' and enterprisin' lot they be." He looked to Cath as he asked the question, nodding once.

"Perhaps well 'nough as any man whose worked wit' him. He's a cautious sort, and one that's kept 'ez troops in check long 'nough not to get run over by tha' lot you called cavalry that was moving chunks of metal, or whatever ye' called that fabled grey wood.
06-27-2013 07:42 AM
Child of Danu
Sidhe

Profile | Plot | Tracker

If they were eight year olds, Cathasach would have probably stuck his tongue out at Ryol. Instead, he simply tilted his head, subtlety resembling a cocky criminal. A small gesture he picked up, from his time of being imprisoned among crooks and thieves. This creates a further contrast between the two Chieftains. He dropped the act quickly, as Aleksander spoke, like a chameleon who could rapidly change its colours, turning back to the aloof noble persona he wore before.

“I apologise, certain habits are hard to break when it goes back to decades,” he gave Ryol another smirk, “Though some are needed to be broken for the sake of progress as Ryol had said.” He held his tongue on his encounter with the Ironswifts in the past though, not wanting to give a single hint away to the Swann Chieftain.

“Witchwood?” he raised an eyebrow querying the Aesir, he sighed, “It was inevitable that some of us would have clashed during the War. Still, let’s not dwell on the past.” He settled down on one of the couches on side, “I had given a little more thought on your question on employment, while I doubt any of us would be willing to work alongside warriors with Iron, but your people still have other traits that would compliment us. I could put some query out to some people I know, and see if they have any interest. A lot of my clannsmen runs trade posts, banks. Plenty of valuables that need guarding. It would be a good start towards mutual relationship.”
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2013 11:17 AM by Cathasach Ó Goibniu-Mór.)
06-29-2013 10:56 AM
Ryol Ó Caer-Mór Offline
Child of Danu
Sidhe

Profile | Plot | Tracker

Ryol’s move is distracted, and his gaze is on Cathasach again, eyes narrowed slightly, his tone pointed and just faintly admonishing – disappointment and disapproval clear in his tone as he studied the crooked, cocky tilt of the Fox Chieftain’s head. “I cannot force another to behave, and, while I would quite appreciate the convenience… or the courtesy of not having my guests disturbed…”

He shrugged, then nodded at Cathasach’s words as the man returned to his ‘Chieftain’ persona, seemingly familiar with the man’s ‘shifting colours’. “…some more difficult than others.”

He doesn’t interrupt when the others speak, though he smiles, ever so slightly, in approval of Cathasach’s consideration of his own clan working towards a mutual working relationship with the Aesir.. Progress was Progress, after all… and the more Sidhe who held some influence with the Aesir...
07-01-2013 07:49 PM
The Iron Folk
Aesir

Profile | Plot | Tracker

"Oh, we be handy just as well in silver or Bronze then there Catha." Aleksander shrugged. "Oh sure my own folk would be rightly complainin' if Ah' took away their black and grey toys, but they be proficient in them bronze gear as well. Hell, might even be more deadl'eh then, stuffs like feathers in comparison tah' ironcraft." He shrugs. "Also got minds and eyes too, don't be forgettin' that. I've seen ah' Jotunlander Ranger company disperse into ah' forest, didn' see nay a one until I almost stepped on one of them. And them runecrafters, oi my feet are still numb from settin' off one of their talismans on tha' ground." As per that said impulse he shook his foot a bit, considering the board.

With the queen gone, and the King of Darkness now far into the Reaches of the Light, the Mighty White Rook of the East charges forth, bringing now low the scattered and isolated minions of the dark, smashing each of these remaining peons away one by one. Three escape it's fury as they move about their king, protecting him if their lives as one humble Peon of the White Banner rushes forward to the territory of the Black. The rook, gallant and furious, is finally slain by the king as the last Dark Pawn is slain, only to watch the Pawn of the White cloth finish it's quest. It lands as with the death of the queen before and the Rook now becomes the Queen herself, taking up the banner. With the Queen of Light now offering it's own sharp rebuke, the remaining Rook and Queen both set their blades at the ready for the final blows.

[Image: M34_zpsbcf734e9.jpg]
07-01-2013 09:29 PM
Child of Danu
Sidhe

Profile | Plot | Tracker

Cathasach shrugged, “Can’t do much with an inherent lethal weakness.” His experience with crafting Witchwood, a material as hard as iron, had also changed his preference to a harder material. He did not envy the Aesir’s ability to hold iron without being burned, as Witchwood has the inherent qualities better suited for a Sidhe. But he wished the source of the supply, had not been so volatile.

“I have heard feats of the hunters in the North,” Cathasach commented on the Jotunlander rangers, “Though it didn’t seem like that there’s as many of them as others here. I heard that they’re not fond of the Cels, because of the lack of large monstrous beasts to hunt. Some of my kin had come across a few during their trade. The pelts they’ve brought in were larger than the beasts we have here, with hide almost as tough as armour. I could only imagine what it took to take those creatures down.”

He did not have enough understanding of Seidr yet, to make a concrete remark on the subject, though it did lead to another part of the Aesir magic that caused him to chuckle, “There’s a child of an acquaintance of mine, who wants to learn how to make Potions. I still had not dared to take the tonic she gave me the other day, in case it turned me into a toad.”

Cathasach looked down the chessboard, now raising two surprised eyebrows at Ryol, who had his king surrounded, “Whoops, I guess I have been a little too distracting this evening,” said he, not even a little apologetic.

He returned to Alesksander, “Apart from bodies-for-hire, I think we could branch into another area: Trade. I am aware that my clann’s main revenue would not be any use to your people. But we have other exports. There’s already minor trades going on, but perhaps we could extend it further.” He didn’t mind speaking this in front of Ryol, the Swann Chieftain was bound to know sooner or later. It wasn't much of a secret to hide anyway.
07-13-2013 09:58 AM
Ryol Ó Caer-Mór Offline
Child of Danu
Sidhe

Profile | Plot | Tracker

Ryol reached forwards, tipped his king onto its side, and settled his gaze back on the others, continuing to listen with interest – though his lips twitch downwards, slightly, at Cathasach’s comment.

He listens to the others a few minutes more before he speaks, one brow raised. “We saw enough of the effectiveness of Norland’s Warriors when they swept into our lands to be able to vouch for… effectiveness.” He drawls, slowly, picking up his glass and taking a slow sip. “And seen enough Seidr to understand some of what can be done with it.”

And guess at other things, of course. Seidr was interesting, and he doubted that what he’d seen of it in the war – and watched demonstrated in the workings of the Ironswift – were the limit of what was possible… Well. Excepting a singular example, of course – the strange stone man was quite the curiousity, and something he was sure had pushed the limits of Seidr... after all, if it hadn’t, he was sure there would have been more to be seen, forming and marching… ( Unless it was a more recent discovery, and they were in mass production up North… though he’d been reassured that this wasn’t this case, suspicion and caution did no ill to keeping one alive. )

He listened to Cathasach, a moment, expression critical, and set his glass down, gaze turning to his fellow Chieftain. “If you wish to send some of your traders up North, we’ve folk moving often enough.” An implication of alliance, of course, obscured, but… “We’ve been trading with the Norlanders for quite awhile. I’m sure that between our Clanns we’d be able to do a good deal more business that way.”
07-13-2013 10:27 AM
The Iron Folk
Aesir

Profile | Plot | Tracker

"Them Jotunalnders like tah' be thinkin' them another league of their own up there, and by rights they might've the right of it if they ever find fertile lands an' settle fer' a century or two. But for now tis' as yah' said, best used for critical moments and not some meatgrinder of a campaign. Though trade now, in either respects to yah that be somethin' interestin'. I'm just a holder might ye', something of a Tairn for your kin. Though I'm easy enough to be persuading to send off messages all nice an' easy to the Jarls of Vanaland or Alfland for propositions. Aye, and unmolested at that." The waves and sea in the north were notorious enough, and without the proper instructions one might be even attacked by Hold fleets just to keep in practice!

"As to Seidr, their business be their own. But the right of it is rumored to been new thoughts and applications abound in the east and in Svartland. To what purpose even I be not knowing honestly."
07-13-2013 11:27 AM