Child of Danu
Sidhe

Profile | Plot | Tracker

Tribe: Clann Swann
Clann: Ua Caer

A Game Of You [ Open. ]
Date: Beltaine | 13th of Crann | 1722 ATA
Time of Day: Early Evening.
Weather: A cool evening, with stars bright in the sky.
---

There seemed to be no end to the various odds and ends one had to attend to, on a day to day basis – paperwork and politics and more information from his various spies, contemplation on when and if he should activate the various measures and countermeasures and potential plans, every move and step one that had to be planned and executed to it’s fullest extent, so many potential plans and purposes.

The other Chieftans weren’t much help in that matter, far more trouble than they were worth, most of the time, some worse than others, though the ability to place his own abilities and plans against theirs served to keep him sharp… Some easy enough to dance around, others less so, some with no idea of what his own strengths were, who underestimated him far more than they should… well, he wasn’t certain if there were any who had a correct measure of him. He hoped they didn’t – it would be disappointing if he were that easy to read, if his plans were that shallow, that… transparent.

No point to worrying about it, not with so many things to tend to. More economic details, scanned, understood, catalogued. Information on things that were needed for import, and exports – to other provinces, as well as other nations… plenty to keep his mind busy, for hours, and even when it grew tedious, it was still something that needed to be done… True, he had people to do much of it, but he found it more suitable if, at the very least, he had his hands in things to some extent and measure, preferred to know as much of what was going on as possible.

( And wasn’t it natural, after all? For a spymaster turned Taioseach to still value information, in its purest form, as well as every other? )

Still, the whole affair did serve to be dull, after a time, and if he took a break to page through a book in his study with a glass of good wine, could any blame him?

(( I swear to god, if there's no chess playing in this thread, I will be upset. ))
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2013 09:04 AM by Ryol Ó Caer-Mór.)
05-19-2013 07:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cathasach Ó Goibniu-Mór Offline
Child of Danu
Sidhe

Profile | Plot | Tracker

Tribe: Clann Fox
Clann: Ua Goibniu

RE: A Game Of You [ Open. ]

The nobles in the Swan compound turned as the Fox Chieftan strolled through their main street, walking by with no concern as their eyes trailed at him, and his companion. Cathasach was certain that somewhere, among these crowds, one -if not, several, individuals were already scrambling towards Ryol's estate. This is why, in his opinion, the best way to deal with the Swan Chieftan, is to do things in the open.

As if they had been out on a watch for him, the two snowy haired guards blocked his passage as soon as he was a couple of feet away from them.

“What kind of a reception is this?” he gestured at them both incredulously.

“We have been ordered bar you from entrance, Taoiseach of Fox,” one of them answered, face impassive, his voice emotionless. A well-trained guard, in Cathasach's mind.

“Especially not after the trouble you caused us last time,” his partner was not so reserved, “we had to rebuild the left wing all by ourselves!”

The smith chieftain crossed his arms, with a smug grin on his face. “You can't blame me for your chieftain's fickle temper. Besides, I believe he would benefit some introductions with my guest. You wouldn't want to hinder your lord from forming a connection he might benefit, hm?” He turned, and looked upwards, giving his new companion a wink.

The two guards looked at Cathasach's guest, then at the Fox Chieftan, and finally at each other. Finally, they relented, stepping aside from both ends of the gate, and let the two passed through to Ryol's estate.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2013 05:04 PM by Cathasach Ó Goibniu-Mór.)
05-30-2013 09:30 AM
Aleksander Norgaard Offline
The Iron Folk
Aesir

Profile | Plot | Tracker

Tribe: Vanaland
Clann: The Ránningar

The tall and rather armored man that towered beside Cath was certainly not at first obvious of his title nor rank. With some thought as to how in the world this man had the blunt audacity to have wandered into the Foreign district to seek him out and speak with him, Aleksander was finding him to be a bit amusing. Though when he offered to come by the Swannas and introduce him, he considered that curiously as to why.

That particular bit was now clear as he grinned as deep as a Sea Wolf only knew how.

"Well well now, yah be causin' a righteous mess then heading back to the scene of tha' disaster? Damn well reckless, by Danu's tits." He laughed, then shifted his cloak for inspection as the smith chieftain indicated him. The badge of the Hovding was upon his breast, and when they finally passed through, Aleksander considered it. "Definitely has me curious howev'ah, just what was it that caused tha' much damage?" He was looking to the indicated wing of the building as he spoke.

[Image: M1_zps619dde4e.jpg]
05-30-2013 09:56 AM
Ryol Ó Caer-Mór Offline
Child of Danu
Sidhe

Profile | Plot | Tracker

Cathasach's presumption that Ryol's spies were already wending their way to him with the news of his approach - and his companion - was distinctly on the mark, and the rattle at the window, followed by the perching of a bird on it's frame, swiftly followed by the creature taking shape of one of his many Eyes, brought the man out of his own mind, eyes lifting from the book to deal his spy a frown and raised brow.

The golden eyed Abhean stares, then bows rigidly, eyes a little glazed as more information comes in from the birds under her connection. "My lord, the Fox Chieftan has entered the compound-"

She keeps on, even as Ryol straightens, a look of consternation upon his features. "He's bringing an Aesir of unknown ori...no. The leader of the foreign district."

Ryol speaks slowly, drawing the words out even as his spy steps from the sill. "...this had best be some kind of practical joke."

He stands, air already stirring around him, restless, snaps his book shut, crosses to his desk and pulls his cloak around his shoulders, smoothing the feathers with one hand. "Keep an eye on him. How muddy a mess is he bringing behind him?"

Business, battle plans, already calculating precisely whether the current location would be a safer zone... At least the man usually behaved well enough to keep from throwing fire inside buildings...

"Keep an eye on them. Report back. Standard Methodology. You have your flock?" His voice is brisk and all business as he sets the book on a shelf.

"Yes sir. We'll secure the area."

"Good."

The woman bows, sharp, dark hair falling about her ears, and vanishes back out the window with a flutter of wings.

Ryol leaves the window open, settles himself back down, and settles back in with his wine, watches the door, eyes narrowed.

Why did he ever wonder and contemplate something to relieve his boredom... Every time, it was something like this that broke the boredom, wasn't it?
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2013 01:22 PM by Ryol Ó Caer-Mór.)
05-30-2013 01:01 PM
Child of Danu
Sidhe

Profile | Plot | Tracker

More eyes followed them as they entered their estate, both visible and hidden. Most would belong to Ryol, several, very carefully hidden would be his own. Cathasach prefers to have the illusion of vulnerability whereever he went, and the presence of guards tend to put others on the defensive, which tend to be against his intentions. He would only travel to certain compounds with such an entourage.

“I wouldn't call it reckless, though some would agree with you,” said he to the Aesir, as he referred to his spymaster, a man he drew up the wall as often as he ruffled Ryol's feathers.

“A pile of mud on a polished white marble floor,” Cathasach made a chuckle, glancing at the left wing, which now looked as if it had never been destroyed. “Ryol and I go way back. Since we're both well over two centuries old, you could guess how long that was. You have seen enough of what we're capable of. Wont take a few guesses to how it happened.”

They were led into Ryol's study by a quiet, watchful sevant, who didn't seem to be happy to be the one on duty at this time. The air in the study was already off. Cathasach wondered if he would be pushing too far today. A thought he discarded rather quickly, since they're already here, better brace for the storm.

“Ryol!” He waved at the white haired man, as both he and the Aesir strode across the black carpet, replaced with the old white one after it was covered with Cathasach's muddied footprints. The black carpet reflected that Ryol had learned to prepare for any unexpected, and unwanted visitors in advance.

“I believe you know who he is already, so I'll keep introductions short.” He turned and presented his Aesir guest, “Ryol. Aleksander Norgaard, Hövding of Ustanstead. Aleksander. Ryol Ó Caer-Mór, Chieftan of the Swan. I thought you would be interested in meeting the leader of the Foreign District, so I brought him over for a chat.” The corners of his mouth curled into a smirk as he spoke to the white-haired man, with an underlined 'besides, you're bored anyway' glance.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2013 08:11 PM by Cathasach Ó Goibniu-Mór.)
05-30-2013 06:35 PM
The Iron Folk
Aesir

Profile | Plot | Tracker

"The efforts yah' lot to keeping to antics never endures meh' patience being about this place, though it can be surprising yet still what grudges bein' held an' all. Blood feuds be much tha' same, but we only lett'em last as long as tha' generation's concerned." The Aesir commented dryly as then what was explained of the mud. "Mud o' stone? Bah, some of ye' lot seems tah' scream at the very sight of muck 'n grim, least in tha' open." He laughed roughly as he stepped in. He did seems at least to make a point of having clean boots however coming to this, and he shifted in his gear as they waited briefly for the servant and Ryol to get all settled in.

When they were settled in and inside Ryol's room, he glanced about, noting the chess board. It looked to have not been arranged yet for any play, wandering over idly as he looked to Ryol finally and nodding with, well a better respectful nod then rumor suggested-a tilt of the head and a grin. "Pleasure to be makin' yer' acquaintance outside a formal 'all. Too many daft courtiers be fillin' my ears with messages of 'grand~' import tah' really enjoy tha' place." He snorted, shifting a white piece.

[Image: M2_zpsdf106213.jpg]
05-30-2013 08:24 PM
Ryol Ó Caer-Mór Offline
Child of Danu
Sidhe

Profile | Plot | Tracker

The wind in the room could have been mistaken as coming in from the window, but for the facts that the breeze outside had not been quite so... focused... and, that, well, even when he wasn't purposefully whipping the winds up, Ryol's draiocht still carried his vanity, didn't so much tousle his hair as make it move in such a way as to appear more... notable. Regal, even.

His eyes are locked on Cathasach when the man enters, a narrowed, angry glare, though his face quickly trains itself back into a more cordial expression as the Aesir follows. "Cathasach." It takes a minute for him to drag his eyes from his 'frenemy', and refocus them on the Aesir. ( The aggression leaks out of his stare when he does, which is a bit of an oddity, with the usual relations between the races considered. )

He stands, circles, slowly ( the wind flicks his cape out behind him until it falls properly, and he doesn't seem to realize. The colours he's wearing - white and white and white - may inform a bit better the nature of his own irritation with Cathasach's mud-slinging... ) His eyes slide back to Cathasach. "Oh, I'm sure Eslyd will be simply delighted to hear you've dropped by, after the last time." He drawls, slowly, before his attention refocuses on the Aesir.

His tone is far more cordial and respectful when he speaks to Aleksander than Cathasach.

"The feeling is mutual, I assure you." He passes the board, and a black piece is shifted. "May I ask as to the purpose of this visit, or it is simply yet another of our dear Cathasach's ploys to get my attention? If so, I do apologize for the disturbance, if he interrupted anything of importance..."
05-31-2013 05:19 AM
Child of Danu
Sidhe

Profile | Plot | Tracker

They say if two people looked into each other's eyes long enough, it means they're in love. Now, the study of the Swan Chieftain, narrow, angry white eyes locked on to jade-green ones, as Cathasach approached Ryol. He continued to wear his smirk, as the gap between them closes. Cathasach was tempted to lean forward and whisper something in Ryol's ear, to burst that inner rage of his. However, with his guest around, the scene would seem improper.

His mouth dried a little at the mention of Eslyd, Ryol's wife. “I didn't expect her to miss me so soon.” He maintained his smirk at the white-dressed man.

He raised a curious eyebrow as the Aesir moved a white pawn on the chessboard. Aleksander didn't seem the type to play chess. Then again, it was something Cathasach had never taken to, even though he knew the rules and studied strategies as part of his noble education. He prefers to study in his library or spend time in the forge, to spend his leisure time.

“We had the most wonderful time this afternoon,” he watched Ryol making a hasty black move, as he referred to his trip to the Foreign District. The visit was a concern with iron in the city, however, he decided to leave that out from Ryol for the time being, “and it occurred to me that we could brighten your dull evening as well.”
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2013 06:45 AM by Cathasach Ó Goibniu-Mór.)
06-01-2013 06:44 AM
The Iron Folk
Aesir

Profile | Plot | Tracker

Aleksander continued as he watched Ryol move a piece idly, quirking an eyebrow briefly before moving his pawn against Ryol's, knocking it out and setting it aside. He noted the good material of the pieces as he grunted. "Yah' lords are makin' ah' too big of fuss for what's in that district has and doesn't has fer' the last past years." He watched then as the rook took up his pawn, grinning and charging another pawn head on into the castle.

"Not to be sayin' and all in bad taste, but tha' stone here seems all well and polished bett'ah then a whore before work." He shrugged. "What might yah use to keep it so?" His thoughts considered the stiff looking ability of the man. There was intelligence there, but also restraint. He was curious about where those limits were, but Catha was to face that storm for him.

[Image: M5_zpsc4568ce2.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2013 07:21 AM by Aleksander Norgaard.)
06-01-2013 07:19 AM
Ryol Ó Caer-Mór Offline
Child of Danu
Sidhe

Profile | Plot | Tracker

Ryol rolled his eyes at Cathasach's comment, and his lip curls, slightly, a tightly-controlled smile. "Miss you? Of course not." He circles the other man, a slow careful stalk. "Mo rún does not miss what she aims for, Cathasach, and you certainly don't want to be on that list, now do you?"

There's a quiet chiding to his tone, as he circles again, shifting another of his pieces on the board. "Oh, I'm not surprised, I'd heard you'd wandered into the foreign district, though of course not what business it was on... I'm sure your caretakers were unendingly pleased with that one..."

"And which 'has and doesn't has' is the question this time? The same one that's been in circulation since the founding of the foreign district, or something new?" His attention turns to Aleksander, and he frowns, briefly, at the board, raising a brow, shifts his piece again.

"Various things, from draiocht to work with hand and cloth, the effort in it is part of the point... not much that isn't easily accessible, in the end..."
06-01-2013 08:07 AM