The Moon That Breaks The Night [Wild Pups]
Edana Uí Clíodhna Offline
Child of Danu
Sidhe

Profile | Plot | Tracker

Tribe: Clann Wolf
Clann: Ua Cliodhna

RE: The Moon That Breaks The Night [Wild Pups]
"I promise, I can be quite capable of taking care of myself once I'm healed up," Edana remarked to Corrigan's own grinned proclamation that they'd see. She still couldn't imagine why he was being so insistent on continuing to help her when he'd already done so much. The woman wasn't sure where she'd be right now if it wasn't for Corrigan and Aeron assisting her and getting her cleaned up. For that reason, she supposed she could remain until she was at least recovered.

"Thank you," Accepting the bowl of stew, Edana stirred at it slightly with her spoon before tasting it and humming in appreciation. "Its good, really good..." She murmured before she began eating. The food went down rather quickly and easily as she realised that she actually was quite hungry. She supposed she hadn't noticed because she'd been so worried about being caught.

Glancing at Corrigan briefly though, while he seemed preoccupied for a small moment, the woman nudged at his leg with her own in an almost teasing or playful manner as she looked back down to her food as though she was completely innocent and too busy eating to have done anything.
07-13-2013 03:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Smiling Iron Offline
Sidhe Gang
Sidhe

Profile | Plot | Tracker

Tribe:
Clann:

"Yeah, but that doesn't mean two hands aren't better than one." Corrigan grinned, slightly, across the table, watching the woman with a pleased enough expression, yellow-gold eyes taking in each movement and motion...

And gradually realized that she was hungier than he'd realized.

He blinked, then nudged her leg back andpushed his own, untouched, bowl over. "I think you need this more than I do, huh?"
07-15-2013 06:33 AM
Child of Danu
Sidhe

Profile | Plot | Tracker

"Depends on the hands and what they're doing," Edana said without missing a beat, before she realised her mouth had run off without her and the words could be completely taken the wrong way. She was glad for the semi-darkness as her head ducked to hide the crimson that flared up in her cheeks as she cleared her throat quietly. "I mean, uhm... nevermind," She murmured as she returned to eating, finishing her bowl rather quickly and closing her eyes a moment before she felt a nudge back and Corrigan pushed his bowl across.

Edana blinked at him a moment, torn between insisting that she was fine, and just taking the bowl straight up so that she could feed her still-hungry stomach. "Are you sure?" She asked quietly as she played with her empty bowl, biting her lip while she watched him. She waited for an indication that he was before tentatively pulling the bowl all the way over and offering a small appreciative smile.

"Thanks," The woman ducked her head again, though glanced up at Corrigan occasionally while she continued eating. She nudged his leg again beneath the table as she did, watching him with half-lidded eyes for a moment, but simply remained silent as she finished eating. By the end of the second bowl she felt properly full, and smiled somewhat contently after washing it down with half a tankard of ale. Edana leaned forward with her elbow on the table as she closed her eyes and sighed, just taking a moment to relax.

"That was really good," Murmuring quietly, Edana opened her eyes and looked toward the small fire before she turned her gaze to Corrigan again, "I didn't realise how hungry I was." Crossing her arms on the table, she rested her chin on them and watched the man with a warm expression, "I'm glad it was you I ran into."
07-15-2013 09:25 AM
Smiling Iron Offline
Sidhe Gang
Sidhe

Profile | Plot | Tracker

Tribe:
Clann:

Corrigan felt his face heat slightly - that was so stupid, he never got embarassed talking to girls, so why the hell was he getting flustered now? Still... Back and forth was easy, wasn't it? Common, simpl ground. "Whatever they're needed for, clearly."

He grinned, and nodded at her uncertain look. "Fallyn's been making sure I've eaten, he's been an absolute mother hen - don't tell him I said that, though."

He nudged her back, taking a sip from his tankard. "Well... I'm glad you found your way here, too. I.. whatever happened, I'm glad you're..."

He paused, frowned, and gave his hair a quick ruffle, a bit like a dog scratching it's ears. "Alive. I mean. I'm glad you're getting better, too. You. Uh."

He halts, face going red, huffs.

"I was really worried, when you came in. You know? So. Uh. I'm glad... I'm glad we were able to make sure it wasn't so bad. And that you're gonna be alright.
07-15-2013 09:38 AM
Child of Danu
Sidhe

Profile | Plot | Tracker

"Its good... that you have someone who looks out for you," Edana nodded, a small amused smile tugging at her lips as Corrigan spoke about Fallyn, almost chuckling at the visual that popped up in regard to what seemed to be the more serious brother of the three. "I was worried for a little while after you left, I remember, hoping you managed to find him..." She trailed off as she played with her tankard, turning it around on the table distractedly as she seemed to focus on it.

The woman bit her lip as her focus seemed to continued to single in on the object in her hands rather than the topic of how she'd come to be at the RedBird Inn, especially in the state she was in. She tapped the heel of her foot silently on the ground beneath the table and bit her lip. "Yeah..." She said quietly, almost a little distractedly. She still didn't want to admit where her life had led.

"Won't be long before I'm all healed up," Edana offered up a small smile, "Thanks to you and Aeron. I'm not sure what might have happened if I hadn't come here..." She wasn't sure she wanted to know either. A city like this? She probably would have been left to die, or worse...

"Um, yeah, so..." One hand reached up to play with a stand of hair as she glanced at her tankard again and bit her lip. She tipped the rest of the drink back before sighing softly, her stomach still feeling contentedly full, which also left her beginning to feel slight drowsiness kicking in. She fought off the urge to yawn for the moment though, and glanced at Corrigan a little curiously as she twirled her hair around her finger.

"Did you really go back to look for me?"
07-15-2013 10:08 AM
Smiling Iron Offline
Sidhe Gang
Sidhe

Profile | Plot | Tracker

Tribe:
Clann:

"...yeah, I- it was... kind of close, I guess... I didn't manage to save enough stuff to eat, myself, and I didn't want to stop..." He grins, slightly, shoving some of his hair back behind his ears. "I was actually kind of sick, after we got here - only reason Duggie didn't end up the same was 'cause of that blanket you gave us..."

He pauses, then starts to laugh, pressing his hand to his mouth to try and keep himself quiet, though he manages to get a few words out. "It was so... not stupid, I guess. He showed up soon enough. But. It was storming, the last... Danu... two days, before we got near the city? I was just so scared that we'd get caught that I kept running along, being just... really stupid about it." He lets out another stifled snicker. "I got drenched to the bone and it wasn't 'til Fal made a comment about rain washing away scent and footprints, depending, years later that I realized I could have found a place to hole up and been fine, for a bit!"

He tilts his head back, bites his lip and presses his hand over his mouth, shoulders still shaking with laughter he's fighting to control... which finally trails off, as he pauses, blinks, and refocuses his eyes on Edana.

"Well... of course I did. I promised, didn't I?"

He sniffs, scuffs his foot on the floor - bumping hers as he does - and traces a circle on the table with one of his nails, faintly flushed. "...it took longer to talk Fal into going with me than I hoped, he wanted to be sure I'd be healthy enough to travel, and able to hold my own if there was a skirmish and he had to get a few others to come along and blah blah blah... I... he just... he took so long... and he wouldn't listen when I said it should be sooner and- just-" He trailed off, frowned - hated the thought that he couldn't have gotten Fallyn to have moved any faster, couldn't help but wonder if they could have shown up, earlier, what would have happened, had berated himself for not harassing his brother more....then had tried to forget, until Edana had shown up again... "But. Uh... when we did get there..."

He paused, fingers stilling, tapped his nail on the table, brow furrowed, staring at the wood. "...they said the master of the house you'd been at, that he was dead, had been for... scit. A week? And..." He swallows, huffs, a bit upset, cards his fingers through his hair, fussing with it until he's left it more of a mess than it had been to start with. "I asked if anyone had seen you, and... uhm. The reply I got was... well... 'it's a peasant, who cares' and just..."

His shoulders hunch, and his fingers curl into a fist on the table, nails biting into his skin. "Well. I thought."

He goes silent.

Speaks, finally.

"...I'm just."

His jaw works.

"Whatever happened, I'm glad you're here, now."
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2013 05:56 PM by Smiling Iron.)
07-15-2013 05:29 PM
Child of Danu
Sidhe

Profile | Plot | Tracker

Listening as Corrigan spoke about what happened after he left, Edana was a little confused by the laughter and tilted her head. It really sounded like he'd cut things really close and she bit her lip and frowned slightly. Perhaps, looking back on it now, it may have seemed funnier to him to think about his own foolishness, but she part wanted to scold him for being so silly. Still, she was glad the blanket had helped, she'd had a time dealing with having to tell the master of the house that it had gone missing -- it had been one of the better ones.

"You should have been a bit more careful... you did have a baby with you," Edana commented quietly, "But... all things considered, at least you did make it." She gave a small nod and played with her tankard, turning it around in her hands as she watched it, seeming to prefer to keep her attention there.

"He was concerned with your wellbeing first and foremost, its understandable," Giving a small shrug with her gaze focussed downward, Edana didn't want to fall into that place where she would be wondering 'what if'. What had happened, happened, and there was no changing things. She held onto the object in her hands, having ceasing turning it around and just squeezing it a little tightly as Corrigan then mentioned that they'd arrived there a week after the master had died...

"A week?" Edana's voice cracked before she could control it, and she cleared her throat as she ducked her head, allowing her hair to fall across her face. 'Just a peasant'... it was the same thing she'd heard all her life, and even after having escaped Cullen for the moment, it still followed her. What more could she expect, really? "No one cares what happens to a peasant," She confirmed quietly, eyes concealed by her hair while she clenched her teeth.

The woman seemed to have shrunk in on herself. Only a week... If she'd just waited another week. She realised it was already happening, the question of what might have happened if she hadn't listened to the seemingly charming man who'd showed her the way to 'freedom'.

"I killed him..." Edana said quietly, face still mostly hidden while her hands squeezed around the tankard so that they wouldn't tremble. "I... he... it just... became too much. I couldn't deal with it anymore, the way he treated me... what he did to me..." She felt sick just thinking of it. It was no real secret what happened to her in that place, her only request to people she harboured being not to get involved.

"A week..." A bitter huff was expelled before she slumped over the table, her forehead on her arms as she thought of everything that had happened since she'd killed that man. She didn't want to cry, hated feeling so weak, but there felt like there was nothing else to do at that point as her body shook gently.
07-15-2013 09:22 PM
Smiling Iron Offline
Sidhe Gang
Sidhe

Profile | Plot | Tracker

Tribe:
Clann:

"Didn't stop me being furious with him for..." He paused, uncertain. ".. A long while after ..."

His eyes snapped up, as her voice cracked, and the set of his jaw tightened as she repeated the words, that no one cared, as if it should have been obvious, no surprise, and maybe it shouldn't have been, but...

"I cared," his voice is upset, a feral little half-growling rumble as his teeth clenched.

He swallowed, convulsive, as she spoke, explained that she'd been the one to seal her master's fate, to take his life, for everything he'd done to her- "He deserved it. Deserved worse than that."

Deserved the belly full of iron he'd convinced his brother to bring along, to feel the burning agony in his guts, to have no nails, fingers, hands with which to try and claw his skin open and get the poisonous metal out...

He froze, stared, helpless, as the woman started to cry, hands still and uncertain, finally reached forwards, with hesitation in his touch, to try and cover her hands with his own.

He wanted to tell her he was sorry, for everything, for all the awful things that had happened, that the man had done, to drive her to being his end, that she'd had to endure, that his brother was so full of - no, he couldn't truly blame Fallyn for it, he knew he'd had the family's best interests in mind, but if he hadn't been so insistent on all the things that had to be done, on the level of skill his younger brother had to show...on doing what he could to make sure that their step-athair wasn't going to realize they were so near...

But his throat refused to let the words out, and he was stuck giving her hands a hesitant squeeze, reminding her she wasn't alone... Not anymore.
07-16-2013 12:29 AM
Child of Danu
Sidhe

Profile | Plot | Tracker

There wasn't really a way to respond to Corrigan's insistance that he'd cared what might have happened to a peasant girl. He only cared because she had saved his life. If she hadn't dragged him to the stable and warmed him up, fed him, given him somewhere to hide until he could get his brother, then he'd have been as unaware as anyone else of the little peasant orphan who had to just deal with what she got because no one else was going to take her in.

And it pained her... Edana felt almost like she might break, now that she knew if she'd just waited, stuck it out a little longer, then she might have had proper freedom. It was almost too much to bear while she could still feel the pain from her injuries. Lessened, but still there, taunting her.

Feeling hands carefully covering hers, Edana choked down a sob, biting her lip as she refused to make a sound. She knew it was probably obvious she was crying, but she could convince herself that as long as she didn't make a noise to indicate such, then she could pretend that she wasn't. It was silly, but it was all she had right now. She couldn't complain about unfairness either; she'd made her choice. But still...

"I know he deserved it, but..." Edana's shaky voice was only slightly muffled while her face was still lowered, but then she lifted it slightly, glassy wolfish golden eyes almost haunted-looking, "For everything he did... it was nothing compared..." She bit her lip and her hands gripped at Corrigan's as she shook her head.

She wasn't going to talk about it; she didn't even want to think about it. She'd ended up in the hands of someone who'd turned out to be much worse, but she'd done it to herself. It was her own fault.

All the same, another small sob escaped the woman and before she even thought about what she was doing, she climbed over the table and into Corrigan's lap, curling into a ball there with her head resting against his chest while she buried her face against her hands which clung to the front of his clothing. It was just one moment, she told herself, she could allow herself one moment of weakness, and afterwards she would pull herself together.

Just for a moment, Edana simply wanted to feel safe; and to be able to convince herself she might not be completely alone. Even though in the back of her mind, she was still certain that she needed to go. She could worry about that later.
07-16-2013 01:09 AM
Smiling Iron Offline
Sidhe Gang
Sidhe

Profile | Plot | Tracker

Tribe:
Clann:

Words, promises, oaths danced at the tip of his tongue, trying to find a way to express themselves, escape, comfort, but all he could do was squeeze her hands, just a little.

After all, last time he'd sworn to help he'd arrived too late by a week, has ended up stalled for more than three years-

He paused, as she clambered across the table, curled up on his lap, curled up close and small, and felt his throat closing up again. He... Didn't know what to think, how to feel, the mantra in the back of his mind circling over and over - take the irons to them, make them pay, take the irons to them so they can't do this to her, to anyone, ever again, make them pay for it and burn their flesh with it, carve it in....

He breathes out, slowly, curling his arms around her with ginger, careful caution, trying to avoid pressing against where he could remember the worst of her wounds as being, and tucked the side of his face next to hers, chin resting next to her ear, and just... Held her, didn't ask, didn't comment. .. Didn't know what words could hold actually help.

It took a few minutes for a few to surface.

"...you're safe now, I promise, Edana."
07-16-2013 02:00 AM